250gm unsalted Butter at room temperature
220gm castor sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
4 large organic eggs (preferably from Wanaka organics), at room temp
250gm plain flour
3tsp baking powder
3tbsp, poppy seeds
• Preheat oven to 170˚C
• Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth, add castor sugar, vanilla essence and continue beating until white and creamy.
• Add eggs one at a time and continue beating until thoroughly mixed together.
• Sieve flour and baking powder and gently fold together with poppy seeds into the butter mixture.
• Pour the mixture into a large rectangular baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
• Turn out onto a baking rack and allow to cool.
• Once cool, cut into 4 cm squares.
5 leaves gelatin
500gm raspberry puree
100gm castor sugar
• Bloom the gelatin leaves in cold water .
• Place the raspberry puree and sugar in a small saucepan on a gentle heat, stirring regularly until the sugar has dissolved.
• Add the softened gelatin and whisk until the gelatin has dissolved.
• Spray a small rectangular container with cornola oil spray wiping off excess oil.
• Pour jelly into container and allow to set in the refrigerator.
500gm mixed berries
100gm castor sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
• Bring all the ingredients to a simmer in a small sauce pan.
• Puree and pass through a fine mesh sieve.
• Allow to cool in refrigerator.
8 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp vodka
• Blend the blueberries, water, and lemon juice until smooth, pass through a fine mesh sieve.
• Place berry mixture and sugar in a medium saucepan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved.
• Allow to cool and mix in the vodka.
• Churn in a ice cream machine following the manufacturers instructions.
A variety of goodies from the gorge fresh berries and currants
Cubed poppy seed pound cake
1. Mix fresh berries and currants lightly with berry couli and chopped mint.
2. Cut raspberry jelly into long rectangles.
3. Place a rectangle of jelly on plate, artfully arrange pound cake, berry salad and sorbet around the jelly.
4. Garnish with Fresh Mint Sprigs.