Richmond & Marshland
• Try 180 degrees crackers, a soft cheese, smoked salmon, and a mushroom/black garlic
mixture to top it off
For the mushroom combo, Raplph lightly salts the mushrooms and lets them stand before cooking with a bit of olive oil, and then mixing in about 1/3 ratio of black garlic to the cooked mushrooms.
• Fried bananas with black garlic/fruit toppings on ice cream
Some vanilla bean ice cream, black garlic to taste, fried bananas and chopped almonds to taste.
Star Anise and Black Garlic gelato
5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
4 dried star anise
1 tbsp black garlic
• In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until thick and creamy.
• Combine the milk, heavy cream, star anise and vanilla, Heat the mixture until it starts to bubble on the edges. Don’t let it boil. Remove from the heat.
• While whisking the egg mixture add about a cup of the warm milk mixture and combine together. Then add in the rest of the egg mixture to the milk. Heat the entire mixture slowly until it thickens. The custard should coat the back of a wooden spoon. Don’t allow the custard to simmer.
• Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve.
• Stir in the black garlic until it’s well distributed, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
• You can transfer this custard into the ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. If you don't have one, place the gelato in the freezer and stir with a fork every 30 minutes for a few hours.
• This one’s easy. Toast your favourite sourdough bread and set on the plate. Butter and add some baby spinach or rocket leaves if you like. Fry your eggs in a hot cast iron skillet until cooked on one side but don’t flip. When the egg white’s are cooked, but the yolk is still partially runny (that’s the ‘sunny side’), place on your toast and greens. Then add a bit of cracked pepper and flakey sea salt and top with a teaspoon of Karamaya Black garlic.