We asked our friends at the European Bakery to share one of their favourite recipes with us. Daniela kindly sent us this wonderful one for naan bread. Enjoy and let us know how it goes.
Ingredients and method:
15 gm Yeast
1/2 Teasp Sugar
250 ml warm milk
• combine these three and set aside for 10 min
500 gm Flour
1/2 teasp Salt
1 .5 Teasp Sugar
1 Teasp Baking Powder
• add dry ingredients all together and form a well in the center
2 Tbsp Yoghurt (Natural and unsweetened)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
• mix together
• Pour the yeast/milk mix and oil/yogurt mix into the dry ingredients well and knead together until it forms a lovely dough consistency
• Divide into 42 x portions of 42 gm (or larger if you desire bigger Naan)
• Roll into even balls and cover them all with a damp tea towel
• Use a rolling pin and roll them out on a floured surface into long flat oval shapes
(0.5 cm thick)
• Place on a baking tray (either with baking paper or silicon mat)
• Place oven on Grill setting and, grill them 2-3 minutes on each side. They will Puff up nicely.
• When cool, cut the top part open and fill with smoked chicken/celery, diced apple, or rocket, smoked salmon, cream cheese, or vegetarian filling, Be creative!
Join us on Tuesday December 3rd at the Market Cafe for another great class with private chef Dave Miller. He'll be showing us how to prepare a Christmas turkey, brined and served with cranberry jus, roasted sherry vinegar parsnips and roasted agria country style potatoes and a panforte Christmas fruit cake.
To book, call us uat 03-442-4161